What is Worship in Pink?
Worship in Pink is an opportunity for congregations of all faiths to spread the life-saving message about breast cancer screening and early detection. The main goal of the program is to provide breast cancer awareness and education, and increase the number of women receiving mammograms. Worship in Pink is a program held in various cities across the country. Watch Worship in Pink in action!
Legacy Health and Komen Oregon have joined together for the third year to present Worship in Pink 2013 in the Portland/Vancouver metropolitan area. Primary activities will occur within congregations during the Worship in Pink Weekend, October 11-13, 2013.
What others are saying about Worship in Pink:
• “It touched so many people’s lives!”
• “The speakers provided valuable life-saving information and we all participated in a lively, informative discussion.”
Pictured left: Highland Christian Church Worship in Pink Celebration
Click here to see a list of congregations who took part in the 2012 Worship in Pink Weekend!
Who takes part in Worship in Pink?
Any Portland or SW Washington area church, synagogue, mosque or other interfaith organization!
To get involved:
- Identify 2 or 3 Ambassadors to represent your congregation. At least one Ambassador should be comfortable communicating via email and be able to serve as the primary contact for your congregation.
- Each Ambassador will attend one orientation and one breast health training on one of the dates listed below:
- Ambassador Orientation dates: July 20 (9:00 am - 11:00 am) or August 5 (7:00 pm - 9:00 pm)
- Ambassador Training dates: September 23 (7:00 pm - 9:00pm), September 25 (7:00 pm - 9:00pm), or September 28 (9:00 am - 11:00 am)
- Ambassador(s) will lead the planning of a a breast health-related activity during the Worship in Pink Weekend (October 11-13).
- Register your congregation for Worship in Pink no later than August 30.
For each registered congregation, the Ambassadors receive educational materials and guidance during orientation and training sessions. The resources include a sample bulletin announcement, mammography Promise Cards, educational materials, and training on breast health education.
Community organizations can also spread the message of the importance of screening and early detection. Promote breast health by distributing education materials to your networks. We can provide breast health education materials and resources. Contact Kathy Kendrix at 503-735-1475 for more information and to obtain materials.
Survivor Choir Information:
Are you a breast cancer survivor who enjoys singing? You are invited to join the Sisters in Survival (SIS) Choir!
Breast health and breast cancer educational materials can be ordered from Susan G. Komen for the Cure at any time to share with your congregation and community.
For more information on Worship in Pink 2012 please contact Kathy Kendrix at 503-735-1475 or visit the Worship in Pink website, http://www.worshipinpinkpdx.org/